93 per cent of Jordan’s electricity generated by natural gas

AMMAN — Imported natural gas contributes to the production of 93 per cent of the electricity generated in the Kingdom, while the share of renewable energy is the remaining 7 per cent, the National Electric Power Company (NEPCO) said on Friday.

Assistant director general of production planning at NEPCO, Amin Zaghal, told the Jordan News Agency, Petra, that the power plants in the Kingdom are currently relying on imported natural gas coming through Aqaba Port, while the rest is produced by renewable energy sources (solar and wind power).

The power generation plants currently consume about 320 million cubic feet of gas per day, and in terms of electrical loads, the outcome ranges between 2,450 MW and 2,500 MW, while the combined generation capacity is 3,800 MW, Zaghal said.

Published in Jordan Times, 5th May, 2018