Albania hikes electricity generation in Q1

Net domestic production of electric power in Albania almost doubled y/y in the first quarter of 2018 to reach 3,213 GWh, up from just 1,588 GWh in the same period of 2017.

Albania and other countries in the Western Balkans were hit by drought last year, resulting in a sharp fall in hydropower production; Montenegro’s main power producer EPCG also recently announced a hike in hydropower generation in Q1. Albania generates virtually all of its energy from hydropower.

In Q1, state-owned hydropower plants accounted for 65% of net domestic production while private, independent and concessionaire power producers generated the remaining 35%, state statistics office Instat said.

Published in IntelliNews, 28th May, 2018